Formerly PSAT, SAT, and ACT Preparatory Courses
The College Assessment Test Prep (CATP) Course is literally ‘Three in One’! With the new PSAT and SAT redesigned, they are similar in structure and design to the ACT. Thus, we are melding the 3 courses into one comprehensive course!
Students will be taught strategies and develop the capacity to master the PSAT, SAT and ACT tests. They will be given practical experiences that train them to effectively put their academics to work under testing conditions. The course is brimming with test-prep materials from College Board, ACT, Princeton Review, Kaplan, Barron's & Ivy Global.
By attacking the material methodically over the course of the entire school year, students will be well-grounded in the subject matter covered by each test section! It is common for our students to increase their overall score significantly. In the past five years, an average of 8 of our students per year become NMSQT scholars. It is important to note that students' scores increase in proportion to their participation in the course.
Students can expect up to 5 hours. of homework per week and they can earn 2 credits for English Language Arts and 1 credit for Math. The course is rigorous and includes a thorough writing curriculum specific for the SAT and ACT essays.
CATP provides targeted instruction for all levels of Math, Grammar, Rhetoric, and Critical Reading as well as Science and Social Studies that pertain to these tests. Students will use practice sections in PSAT, SAT and ACT throughout the year as homework and study materials. They will take practice PSATs, SATs or ACTs and write 6 essays.
Students will learn:
- The difference between the PSAT and SAT and ACT
- Test-Taking Strategies such as "Plugging in" and "Back-solving"
- Arithmetic shortcuts for fractions, percents, exponents, averages, ratios
- Algebra strategies for word problems and functions
- Critical Reading – learn a strategic approach
- Vocabulary and Mnemonic Devices – students learn the words they will need using fun, powerful techniques
- Personal pace – students learn where to spend their energy in order to maximize their score and avoid wasting time
- Students will attend three practice tests
Additional Benefits from Standard of Excellence’s College Assessment Test Prep course (PSAT/ SAT/ACT Preparatory Course)
- Accurate measure of score and improvement
- Students become comfortable with real testing conditions
- Individualized reports highlighting strengths and weaknesses
- Detailed test reviews to improve subject knowledge
- Students will also learn how the test is structured and scored
We have a blast!